I must admit, I was ignorant of President George H.W. Bush’s Pro-Life achievements.
It’s been three decades since he was elected leader of the free world, so I imagine I was not alone.
But for the sake of history, it is important that we educate ourselves about Bush 41’s record of accomplishment on the pro-life front.
Here’s what I found out:
- The Bush Administration wanted the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade, the tragic Supreme Court ruling which brought us abortion on demand for any reason, and for no reason, during all nine months of pregnancy.
- The Bush Administration stated that “protection of innocent human life–in or out of the womb–is certainly the most compelling interest that a state can advance.”
- Of the radical Freedom of Choice Act, which would have established a pro-abortion policy beyond Roe, President Bush said, “It will not become law as long as I am President of the United States.”
- President Bush vetoed ten bills with pro-abortion provisions, including taxpayer funding of abortion.
- The President defended the “Mexico City Policy,” which prevents taxpayer funding of organizations that promote or perform abortions overseas. He also banned abortions at U.S. military bases, with the rare exception of saving the mother’s life.
- President Bush banned thousands of federally-funded clinics from counseling or referring for abortions.
These are just some of the many pro-life milestones during the Bush 41 administration. As we mourn the loss of this pro-life President, let us be thankful for the graceful manner in which he strove to protect innocent human life.